Friday, December 2, 2011

Song of the Sparrow...

The year is 490 AD. Fiery 16-year-old Elaine of Ascolat, the daughter of one of King Arthur's supporters, lives with her father on Arthur's base camp, the sole girl in a militaristic world of men. Elaine's only girl companion is the mysterious Morgan, Arthur's older sister, but Elaine cannot tell Morgan her deepest secret: She is in love with Lancelot, Arthur's second-in-command. However, when yet another girl -- the lovely Gwynivere-- joins their world, Elaine is confronted with startling emotions of jealousy and rivalry. But can her love for Lancelot survive the birth of an empire?

I thought that this was beautifully written and different. I wasn't a huge fan of the whole thing like writing in verse because the last book that I read was 'Crank' and I couldn't finish that, it was too much. So I was a little skeptical about the whole verse thing but instead of taking away from the beauty of the story I thought that it added to it. I am a huge fan of King Arthur (next Arthur book 'Avalon High') and have been since I was little. So when I saw this and found it in my library I got it. Then when I sat down to
read it I was a little disappointed. Elaine was kinda a bland character to me. She only has one or two goals- getting Lancelot to love her and to save her father/brothers- and she had no personality. Towards the end I knew what happened because I'd jumped ahead to know who she ends up with and found this one part and of course I read it all the way to the end so when I had to start forcing myself through it I discovered that where I couldn't take it anymore was right where I had started that reading part. So this is a good book, just don't jump ahead like I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment